SAP released their first Sustainability Report in November 08 reporting on the 2007 year. It was a good initial effort (prepared in accordance with the GRI guidelines and achieving a “C” level certification) delivered in your typical PDF format. The main innovation the first year was that there was a separate site for readers to leave feedback.
Then in May 2009 SAP released their 2008 Sustainability Report. This report achieved a B+ GRI rating and was far more interactive than the previous report (or any Sustainability Report I had previously seen). It allowed readers to interact with the data and showcased the interactive Sustainability Map which categorised core business processes related to sustainability and mapped them into distinct categories. Again SAP solicited feedback from users.
Now the 2009 Sustainability Report takes this to the next level. It:
- achieved an A+ GRI rating by reporting on more sustainability GRI indicators and by adding new metrics, including Renewable Energy, Business Health and Culture Index, and Employee Satisfaction
- includes the new edition of the Sustainability Map
- establishes short- and long-term goals for many of SAPs metrics beyond carbon footprint
- contains more embedded interactive dashboards leveraging data sourced from SAP Carbon Impact and SAP Business Objects Sustainability Performance Management
- enables readers to comment on SAPs performance and solutions in the context of the report (no longer on a separate site) and
- SAP will now produce quarterly updates on their carbon performance
What do I love about this report?