WordPress/FeedBurner lose my subscribers

my feedburner feed stats

Really odd but since I upgraded to WordPress 2.3 the number of subscribers to my blog has roughly halved. Today it is reading 632. It hasn’t been below 1,000 in at least 6 months never mind down at the 600 mark.

I realise that this is likely due to my moving to the newer FeedBurner (FeedSmith) plugin which required me to setup a new feed in FeedBurner but as you can see from the screenshot above, the old feed is reading 0 subscribers!

I put a 301 re-direct on the old feedburner plugin’s feed from this blog but what I am curious about is that the Subscribe address for this blog (tomrafteryit.net/feed) hasn’t changed at all. Do people subscribe directly to the FeedBurner feed address?

19 thoughts on “WordPress/FeedBurner lose my subscribers”

  1. I don’t know if it’s related but tomrafteryit.net has the dubious distinction of being one of the few sites that crashes Safari.

  2. @Michael and Richard, thanks for the feedback – that’s great. That means that the re-direct that I put in place this morning has taken effect (and hopefully my FeedBurner numbers will be back to normal again tomorrow)

    @Keith – what are you doing subscribing to Atom and not bumping up my FeedBurner numbers? šŸ˜‰

  3. Good man Sean – that explains why I am subscribed to Atom but see the feedburner reference on individual feed items.

    You tell him boy šŸ™‚


  4. Thanks guys – Sean, I didn’t know that, cool.

    Cormac, I think that’s because of a 301 re-direct I put in place today.

    Frank, sorry the site is crashing Safari – it must be related to the theme I am using (ironically developed on a Mac!). Thanks for letting me know, I’ll look into it.

  5. It’s working fine for me. Your feed url does redirects to feedburner so it should be counting everything šŸ™‚ Mine if easy to spot, Akgragator in Linux šŸ™‚

  6. I had the same problem until I realised it was related to incorrect plugin stuff. NOw fixed but a PITA nonetheless. As an aside, despite what others have said, I’ve found the WP2.3 upgrade the most troublesome although relatively easy to fix.

Comments are closed.