I finally splashed out and bought the Nokia N70 last week and I have been using it since.
I have to say my feelings about it are mixed. I was upgrading from a Nokia 6230 which was a pretty basic handset but it had the advantage of being tidy in size. The N70 is no brick but you wouldn’t call it tidy either.
The biggest issues I have with the phone are:
- It is sloooow to do anything – the menu system is dreadfully slow (3 full seconds from pressing the Message button to the New Message option coming on-screen)
- Also, the number of clicks it takes to do anything has increased enormously (combining these two issues means it is often very frustrating to work with)
- The reception is very poor on the phone and it drops far more calls in marginal signal than the 6230 did. I never lost calls due to low signal on the 6230 but already I know two places where this phone won’t hold a call (one is the Jack Lynch tunnel).
- It requires re-starts. From time to time I will try to make a call. I will be told “There is no network available”. I re-start the phone and suddenly the network is available once more.
- The start-up time is inordinate – 31 seconds until you are presented with the Insert Pin dialog and another 10 seconds before it is ready to make a call.
In its favour
Things I like about the phone:
- The battery life is quite good – (it will almost go two days between charges)
- It looks cool and
- The camera is quite good (2 megapixel)
If you are more interested in the camera side than the phone side, I can recommend the N70 but if you want to use it more as a phone, get something else.