Bernie wrote up a review of a new toy he bought for 260 Euro – the Sony ICD-MX20 and it sounds nice; albeit a tad expensive, and a Sony product – two good reasons not to buy it (you never know what virus enabling software Sony might have installed on it!).
After trying several other devices, I found that this device filled all my requirements:
- It was cheap(ish) at 140 Euros
- It recorded directly to mp3 files
- It has a line in port for a stereo microphone (and line out for stereo speakers)
- swaps out AAA batteries and
- I can access it on my Mac!
On a tip from Brian I picked up a 10 euro telephone recorder accessory from Maplins – this is a simple splitter which sits between the handset and the phone and it has an audio out line. I plug this straight into the microphone in socket on the Sanyo and hey presto, I am recording phone calls direct to mp3! Nothing simpler!
Dontcha just love technology sometimes?