I’m a little confused, though because although Skype refer to the application as Skype 2.0 in their press release, it is called Skype 1.4 on the Mac download page. Ok, just downloaded Skype 1.4 Beta for Mac OS X and I can’t find any video capabilities 🙁
And me with my new iSight built in to my shiny new iMac g5 and all 🙁
Yet again we find a software company releasing a product with PC only code – with even Robrt Scoble admitting that the number of influencers who own Macs is way out of proportion, this strategy is not wise.
I see where Apple has applied for a patent that allows the computer maker to protect the installation of Mac OS X so that it can only be used on Apple produced hardware. No real surprise there.
However, the patent also describes a method whereby Apple hardware could be used to run other Operating Systems:
22. The method of claim 20, wherein the first operating system is selected from the set consisting of Mac OS X, Linux, and Microsoft Windows.
23. The method of claim 20, wherein the second operating system is selected from the set consisting of Mac OS X, Linux, and Microsoft Windows.
So Apple are stopping OS X from being installed on other hardware while simultaneously allowing multiple OSs on Apple hardware? The only way to run OSX will be to buy a Mac. But once you have bought a Mac, you can run whatever you want on it. This would certainly make Apple’s hardware quite attractive for people who need access to multiple OSs.
The 10.4.3 Update delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X v10.4 and is recommended for all users.
It includes fixes for:
– AFP, SMB/CIFS, NFS and FTP network file services
– AirPort and Bluetooth wireless access
– Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, and RAW camera support
– disc recording when creating and burning media
– .Mac sync services
– Spotlight indexing and searching
– Dashboard widgets: Dictionary, Flight Tracker, Stickies, and Unit Converter
– Address Book, AppleScript, Automator, Dictionary, Font Book, iCal, iSync, Mail, and Safari applications
– Disk Utility, Keychain Access, Migration Assistant, and Software Update
– compatibility with third party applications and devices
– previous standalone security updates
For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website
For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website