SQL Server 2005 Express Error 3417

In a follow-up to my post on SQL Server migration options I decided to download and try out MS SQL Server Express Beta 2.

The program downloaded no problem but the SQL Server 2005 Express error code 3417 came up on installation:

SQL Server Express error

SQL Server Express error

I checked various newsgroups and ensured that all the requisite components were uninstalled before starting. I installed the .Net Framework 2.0 as recommended on the SQL Server 2005 Express download page – all to no avail.

It is either due to my installing it on a Windows XP SP2 OS or the fact that my copy of Windows XP SP2 is installed on my Apple Powerbook using Virtual PC!

I guess the chances are that it doesn’t like the hardware but I already have Visual Studio .Net, SQL Server Enterprise Manager and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express edition all installed and running fine on it. Maybe when Beta 3 is released – or maybe I’ll just look into another db!

About these ads

74 thoughts on “SQL Server 2005 Express Error 3417

1. Pingback: Tom Raftery's I.T. ramblings » Combatting WordPress Trackback Spam

2. Alan

Hi Tom,

We’re expierencing the same problem on the install of the Sql Server Express beta 3. Problem when installing it onto a Windows 2000 SP4 machine. All pre-requisits are fine – although it does warn that the hardware does not meet required spec – although were happy it does.

If anyone has a solution I’d love to hear it .. or more meaning to the error 3417

3. ksc@aloha.net

I received the same error, error 3417, when attempting to start the SQL 2005 Express service on a WinXP Pro SP2 machine. Are there any solutions out there for this?
    ksc@aloha.net

4. Erik Ronne

I had exactely the same 3417-problem but it was easy to fix. All you need to do is to run SQLdiag.exe in the \90\Tools\Binn folder

5. Doozie

I had the sam error when attempting to start the SQL server on XP pro SP2 machine. Did the following:

The start the SQL Express do the same for SQLServer too.

6. Frank

I was having the same problem as well.

The last post about changing the service logon from Network to Local System was the key.

I think some of it had to do with the fact that I installed SQL Server Express a couple of months ago, but just last week finally rejoined my company’s domain. Which almost makes sense because it changes how my computer (XP SP2) interacts with the network…

My 2 cents…

7. Mike

Hey, I have another solution. My event viewer siad something about the Master database being compressed. I checked the data folder, and all database files were blue (meaning compressed, the ‘blue’ setting can be found in folder options). So I selected all files, right clicked, choose properties, clicked advanced and unchecked compressed attributes. After that, I could start the service.

8. Moojjoo

Yes, I had the same issue and after right clicking and decompressing the data files in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data solved the issue.

9. Harshal

Compression was the issue. Thanks

P.S. I have SQL 2000 and I checked the db files, those were also compressed, but I was able to start the service MSSQLSERVER and use SQL 2000 normally.

10. Assad

Thanks for the useful info, decompression was the solution. I’m running SQL Server 2005 on WinXP Sp2.

11. brdietdidi

Compression was the solution for me too. Not the whole drive had to be uncompressed by only my data-dir: C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data. Thanks for the help

12. sachin

I had also problem like that ,now its resolved how?

see-> Windows control panel -> Performance and maintenance -> Administrative tools -> Services ->right click on SQLEXPRESS -> Properties -> Under Logon tab check Local logon and allow interact with local services…

Realy Good One…

Thanks
    Sachin

13. Sam Stange

Yep, compression was the issue for me. I solved this issue by going to my SQL Server data folder via windows explorer (mine was: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data), select all the files, right click, click advanced, uncheck, “Compress contents to save disk space”.

14. James Dawson

As mentioned above, this may be a permissions issue. If you are trying to run the server with a domain account, make sure it has sufficient priveleges to do it.

15. SN

Yes, compression was the issue for me. I solved this issue by going to my SQL Server data folder via windows explorer (mine was: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL), select all the files, right click, click advanced, uncheck, “Compress contents to save disk space”.

16. Myk

Windows control panel -> Performance and maintenance -> Administrative tools -> Services ->right click on SQLEXPRESS -> Properties -> Under Logon tab check Local logon and allow interact with local services… worked for mine. But I am using Business Contact Manager and Accounting 2007. So services appears different. Faster way is START > Run type services.msc. Then on SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ)right click and on the LogOn tab select Local System Account and check Allow service to interact with Desktop.

17. Andy

I found that granting the “Network Service” account Full Permission on the “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data” folder done the trick.

Hope this helps.

18. Rifat

compression was the issue on my xp sp2 sql server 2005 dev ed.

select the databases, (master.mdf…)
    rigth click, click advanced in properties tab, and remove checkbox on the compression control….

rifat

19. Gary

I’ve been dealing with the issue of SQL failing for months.
    Thanks to the information provided here it’s resolved, compression is the issue.
    Thanks Everyone.

20. Niall

As Andy said above, granting full control did the trick.
    Having read, read & execute, write, modify didn’t work!

I thought the configuration manager was supposed to take care of all required permissions?

Thanks for the help.

21. Simon

Thanks…changing the service to local solved my service not starting AND allowed me to install the latest service pack.

22. SirThomas

Login as “local service” appears to have corrected “Error Code 3417″ for me. Thanks!

Now if only someone can figure out why my MsIE refuses to open anything on http! (https works, and so does any other web-app)

23. Kevin Jacobs

Login as “local service” appears to have corrected “Error Code 3417? This also worked for me. I think the problem started when I loaded a new key for MS Office 2007 Small Biz on a new system in the Admin account. I then created a new user account with Admin rights, switched to that account and the problems started. It looked like the service defaults to This Account instead of Local User Account. The problem was This account was where it was first loaded, the Administrator Account.

24. Mustafa

Hello !

i have this problem with Sql Server 2005 express but i don’t know how to solve i tried SqlDiag.exe but it doesn’t work any body have solutions and i didn’t understand Compressing solution
    thanks for your time

25. Kalyan

I had different issue, Entire drive was read mode!! after network team fixing this issue, it is resolved.

26. Jagjit

I had also problem like that ,now its resolved how?

Realy Good One…

Thanks
    Jagjit Singh

27. R Hartness

Will try this out soon… Thanks Tom for helping me find this post since you moved your blog!

I’m sure this will continue to be a good reference for many other users as well.

28. Lakhan Aanjana Patel

i try all these three solution but i still get the same error ….

run SQLdiag.exe in the \90\Tools\Binn folder
    and

and

error msg

Windows could not start the SQL Server (ECC) on local computer. For more information, review the System event log. If this is non-microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 3417

29. Kelkar

Hello,
    Had the same issue of “sql server cannot start specific error 3417 ” .After checking error log, its the master database which is out of sync. So, replaced a new master.mdf and log from other instance.
    Everything went well… And kept a backup of master db and log files, in case its repeated again :)
    It may help someone ..
    thanks

30. Victoria

Amazing! This blog really helped – thanks! Ours was a compression issue too. We went in to the SQL\DATA file and highlighted all the blue files and right clicked and in properties under advanced unchecked ‘compress’. Noting this for the person above who didn’t understand the compression bit – we didn’t at first get it either.